So what happens when a child is highly stressed out? Stress and trauma can affect his or her ability to think and feel, which affects their behavior.
Several behaviors include:
• Delays in development
• The development of new fears
• Regressive behavior
• Separation anxiety (particularly in young children)
• Sleep disturbance, nightmares
• Feelings of depression; angst
• Feelings of blame and guilt
• Loss of interest in normal activities
• Reduced focus and possible decline in schoolwork
• Social withdrawal
• Anger, acting out
• Self-destructive behaviors
• Excessive somatic complaints of physical ailments
What can we do to help our child escape their stress? Here is a guide on comforting your child as a coParent.